PEARL "THE GOLDEN RING"

Kostroma is rightly the pearl of the "Golden ring" of Russia.

Read More

HISTORICAL PLACE

The history of Kostroma is inextricably linked with the history of Russia. A lot of historical, significant events of Russia took place in Kostroma.

Read More

REST FOR THE SOUL

Kostroma is rich not only in history, but also in very beautiful places. And the great Volga river will be pleased with unforgettable boat trips and fascinating fishing.

Read More

INTERESTING PLACE


Some interesting places
Monument to Ivan Susanin in Kostroma (1967). The name of Ivan Susanin, who gave his life for the king, is known to many fans of history. In the glorious city on the Volga is a monument to the Martyr who died a terrible death for the sake of saving the life of the monarch.
Memorial " Glory to soldiers-Kostroma, participants of the great Patriotic war." A Grand composition of bronze, created by sculptors M. F. Baburin, G. p. Levitsky and architect E. I. Kutyrev and established in 1972
The Monument To Yuri Dolgoruky. It was established after celebration of the 850 anniversary of the city in 2003. In 1152 Yuri Dolgoruky founded Kostroma and its existence it owes primarily to the Grand Duke.
Female Epiphany monastery of St. Anastasia in Kostroma region is where the famous wonderworking Theodorov icon of the mother of God, the Epiphany monastery was founded by a disciple of Sergius of Radonezh Nikita back in the 15th century
The ancient monastery, located in the Western part of Kostroma, stands alone among Russian monasteries. It stands out not only the ancient history, which dates back to the XIV century. This monastery has played a leading role in the formation of the Royal dynasties of the Godunov and Romanovs and today keeps unique icons and values.
At the entrance to the ancient Russian city of Kostroma, beautifully spread on the banks of the beautiful Volga river, rises to the sky the famous bell tower of the Znamenskaya Church — the great Orthodox Shrine of the Kostroma region, an outstanding monument of Russian architecture of the XVII century. For three and a half centuries, each person entering Kostroma from the Volga region, can not help but notice this gift of God and admire it.
Fire tower (1824-1827) on Susaninskaya square is a symbol of Kostroma. Architect-Peter Fursov. Fire tower in Kostroma is a proud title given to her by the Emperor: "the Best fire tower of the Russian province." This is the pride of the city.
The red rows in Kostroma — an outstanding monument of Russian civil architecture of the end XVIII — first third XIX century in the classical style, one of the shopping malls of Kostroma, including worship of the XVIII century and of critical importance in the development of the city centre.

THE HISTORY OF THE CITY OF KOSTROMA


Little history
ANCIENT KOSTROMA

The date of Foundation of Kostroma is considered to be 1152, and it is associated with the name of Prince Yuri Dolgoruky, expelled from the throne of Kiev and later laid a number of ancient cities. This information is drawn from the works of the outstanding historian of the XVIII century. Tatishcheva, however, the materials that served as a source for such a conclusion, have not survived, and his statements have to be taken on faith.

Read More
KOSTROMA IN THE USSR

In the Soviet period, Kostroma ceased to be a provincial city and in January 1929 by the decision of the Soviet Union became part of the Yaroslavl region. Like the whole country, it was involved in the process of industrialization, the manifestation of which was the accelerated development of the city's woodworking, textile and light industry. In February 1932, the construction of a large railway bridge connecting the two banks of the Volga river was completed.

Read More
MODERN KOSTROMA

Today, Kostroma is a city of regional significance with a population of 277 649 people (2017 data). Its area is 144.6 km.on the basis of the legislation of the Russian Federation and the heraldic rules, symbols are officially established, among them - the flag and coat of arms of Kostroma, fully corresponding to the one that was granted to the city in 1767 by Empress Catherine II.

Read More